Sunday, October 3, 2010

Take me to that Town

Lads, please forgive me for all the tumbleweed drifting around the place, I've been pulling some late nights and then when the weekend finally rolled around I ran out of my house on Friday and never looked back.


But here I am again, and somehow I managed to squeeze a trip to the cinema into my hectic schedule this week. I strolled on down to Stillorgan on Tuesday (Tuesdays are bargains - a student card will get you a ticket, popcorn, and drink for seven quid!! Amazo) with the boyfriend to see the much hyped, "The Town". I was actually working at the premier of this (dudes, I met Ben Affleck. Can die happy now), but I didn't stick around to watch the film. Which was a mistake, as it was only amaaazing, and would have been even more amazing if I had been watching it with Ben Affleck a mere lassoo throw away from me. And, not only was in in fine form acting wise, he directed it too! Double points. Yum.

*WARNING*
I have done my best to keep this to a review, and as such I don't feel I've given anything vital away, but if you don't want to know anything at all, its probably best to tread lightly... ;-)

 

So. The plot consists of four friends who are bank robbers (Doug - Ben Affleck, Jem - Jeremy Rener, Gloansy - Slaine, and Dez - Owen Burke), living in Charlestown in Massachusetts, which is apparently the birth place of more bank robbers than anywhere else in the States. Lovely. Off they go to rob a bank so, and they end up taking bank manager Claire (Rebbecca Hall) hostage. Doug insists that they let her go after they've gotten away, Jem later convinces him to check up on her and see if she needs to be 'taken care of'. Doug goes off to see if he needs to kill her and ends falling in love with her, as ya do. On a side note, Jem's sister Krista is an old flame of Doug's, and there is constant speculation as to whether her toddler is actually his. Gossip Girl's Blake Lively is flippin' fabulous as crack addled, drunk, teenage mother Krista; a far cry from the Upper East Side, and definitely proving her versatility as an actress.


The gang plan another robbery, as set up by their 'boss', as such; Fergie, a local florist who happens to be a very long time criminal (Pete Postlethwaite on excellent form). Doug isn't keen however, and this proves to be for good reason - the cops show up and they barely get away. This proves to be somewhat of a turning point for Doug, who we see has become disheartened with the whole lifestyle. Not only this, but the FBI are fast closing in on Doug and his gang.

Doug's relationship with Claire intensifies, and he starts revealing things about his traumatic childhood; I won't give anything away, but you can tell that Doug is essentially a good guy who unfortunately got caught up in a bad lifestyle through upbringing and circumstance. Eventually, Doug decides he wants to leave Charlestown with Claire and make a better life for himself; the only problem is Fergie, who is not impressed with his best team of bank robbers suddenly being down a member. He insists on Doug partaking in one last ultimate heist, and threatens Claire's life to get him to do so.

I'll leave it at that, because the ending is fantastic and will have you on the edge of your seat. Some people have said the outcome was stupid - why didn't they just walk away? But I thought it was very well done; their lifestyle is so ingrained into their existence and how they define themselves that there was simply no alternative.

The only aspect of the film that I didn't like was Rebecca Hall. I don't know if it was her acting or the actual character, but I just wasn't feeling the spark between her and Doug/Ben. The character Claire was a bit contrived - she's the total opposite of who Doug would go for, and she was just so lovely and so nice and so sweet and so perfect ... didn't like it. I felt the relationship between her and Doug developed too quickly.


Other than that though, I definitely recommend this film. And while we're at it, the last film that Ben directed was 'Gone Baby, Gone', which I also hiiiighly recommend!


To summarise: we love Ben Affleck :-)

2 comments:

  1. great review :) you're right, we really do love Ben Affleck...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good, i'm dying to see it! And everyone's raving about blake lively, she must be good! x

    ReplyDelete