Sunday, March 20, 2011

Monday one day, Tuesday two day, Wednesday ... when day? Wait ... when's Friday?

Just when I thought sickeningly sweet Disney manufactured pop couldn't get ANY worse, along comes this absolute atrocity...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Her name is Rebecca Black, and when I first watched this, I honest to god thought it was a fake. Surely this is ripping the piss outta Disney starlets? No? Well then it must be some spoiled little girl whose parents indulged her fantasy to be a popstar and let her record a music video for herself ... no? Really, its an actual song that's been released as a real single? ....really???

There are so so SOOO many things wrong with this that you simply have to give up listing them ... just stop and laugh.

In case you missed any of it and would rather listen to cats being strangled than watch the video again, here are the lyrics. Its almost worse when you read it out without the music.

"7am, waking up in the morning
Gotta be fresh, gotta go downstairs
Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal
Seein’ everything, the time is goin’
Tickin’ on and on, everybody’s rushin’
Gotta get down to the bus stop
Gotta catch my bus, I see my friends (My friends)

Kickin’ in the front seat
Sittin’ in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?

It’s Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend
Friday, Friday
Gettin’ down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Fun, fun, fun, fun
Lookin’ forward to the weekend

[Verse 2]

7:45, we’re drivin’ on the highway
Cruisin’ so fast, I want time to fly
Fun, fun, think about fun
You know what it is
I got this, you got this
My friend is by my right
I got this, you got this
Now you know it

Kickin’ in the front seat
Sittin’ in the back seat
Gotta make my mind up
Which seat can I take?

[Chorus]

It’s Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend
Friday, Friday

Gettin’ down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Fun, fun, fun, fun
Lookin’ forward to the weekend

[Bridge]

Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
We-we-we so excited
We so excited
We gonna have a ball today

Tomorrow is Saturday
And Sunday comes after...wards
I don’t want this weekend to end

[Rap Verse]

R-B, Rebecca Black
So chillin’ in the front seat (In the front seat)
In the back seat (In the back seat)
I’m drivin’, cruisin’ (Yeah, yeah)
Fast lanes, switchin’ lanes
Wit’ a car up on my side (Woo!)
(C’mon) Passin’ by is a school bus in front of me
Makes tick tock, tick tock, wanna scream
Check my time, it’s Friday, it’s a weekend
We gonna have fun, c’mon, c’mon, y’all

[Chorus]

It’s Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend
Friday, Friday
Gettin’ down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Fun, fun, fun, fun
Lookin’ forward to the weekend

It’s Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend, weekend
Friday, Friday
Gettin’ down on Friday
Everybody’s lookin’ forward to the weekend

Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Partyin’, partyin’ (Yeah)
Fun, fun, fun, fun
Lookin’ forward to the week"
I think my favourite bit is when she kindly reminds us that Thursday was the day before Friday, and Saturday comes after. And lets not forget Sunday! She brings up some interesting dilemas though, such as when she has to choose between kickin' in the front seat and chillin' in the back seat; god, its like Sophie's Choice.
It might not even be that bad if the video wasn't so cringingly awful. The whole things screams "laugh at me!" and looks and feels like a class project directed by eight year olds. In fact there are a good few eight year olds in the world who could do a far superior job.
Comments on YouTube were disabled after statements such as "Great... now I'm going to go and kill myself" and "cheers, just gonna go cut my ears off now" became too standard. I wholeheartedly disagree; my new positive-life mantra now is "it could be worse - thank god I'm not Rebecca Black!"

And for more entertainment purposes... here is a particularly hilarious parody... :-)

6 comments:

  1. oh kar... where do you find these things?! too funny!

    'sunday comes afterwards!' hahaha i cracked up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sooo embarrassed for her. It's SUCH a cringey video isn't it? What with her singing about cereal, like?! UGH. Kids.

    Great post. Glad I'm not the only one who hates it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! This is gas. Worse thing is it's been stuck in my head since last Friday, Friday, Friday.
    GAH.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Victoria - I waste far too much of my life on the internet ;-)

    Aisling - I know, what the hell who sings about cereal?? And speaking of KIDS, should they be really be rolling up in a convertible?

    Kelle - haha! Unfortunately it is irritatingly catchy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. ha ha comic gold, i think i'll have to listen to this when i'm not in the library xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha yeah its not exactly library material..!

    ReplyDelete