Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Next Up...

Since I started my job last summer, I've been using my iPod faaar less these days; driving for a living means I pretty much always have the auld radio on in the car. And bangin out an endless supply of the same top chart hits over and over can get repetitive... I gave Nova a bash for a while just for a bit of a change, but recently I've taken to actually just sticking in my iPod while driving (I know you're not meant to out earphones in as you should really be able to hear what's going on around you, but I STILL haven't gotten around to buying one of those connector thingys to hook your iPod up to the car radio. I will ... eventually ...)

Basically, the point of my story is that I'd forgotten the beauty of shuffle. Almost every time a song started, I went, "ahh, I'd forgotten about this song, love it!"

So... here are the next ten songs that come on to Shuffle, and what I feel/think about them. And I'm not skipping any, honest!


Foo Fighters: Breakout
Oh, what a tune. I love the Foo Fighters. I'm pretty sure I listened non stop to this album when I was on a family trip to Florida about five years ago, and this was one of the ones I had on repeat, so any time I hear this I immediately think of scorching dry heat and rollercoasters.

Sum 41: In Too Deep
God, this was a hit back in the day! This was when I was going through my Blink 182 and Sum 41 stage when I was about 14 and totally thought I was a rocker... ehh not so much ;-) It reminds me of sitting in the sun at the back of the art classrooms on lunch break, turning the volume up full blast on out headphones and using them as speakers!

The Last Shadow Puppets: The Chamber
Honestly, I don't really have a lot to say on this one. I don't know them too well, but its a nice song.

The Clash: Clampdown
Ah, this reminds me of when I thought I was such a little rocker that Blink 182 was no longer cool.. ;-) I love the Clash, I'm glad this one popped up because its been a long time since I've listened to their stuff.

Guns N Roses: Sweet Child o Mine
Ooooh oh oh sweet child o mine!!! God I love this song, I went through a phase when I was about sixteen of listening to nothing but Guns N Roses for ages. Then I realised Axel Rose was a dick and it kinda put me off them. For a while...

Julian Casablancas: River of Brakelights
Relatively new; he's the lead singer of the Strokes and started up a solo career a couple of years ago. I remember seeing this live at the Academy last year, and he was so nice, he really interacted with the audience and seemed so appreciative of us being there. I love gigs in smaller venues like that, and it was a pretty good night.

The Strokes: Ize of the World
Well I said no cheating, honestly this one did come up straight after! Sometimes I think my iPod reads my mind! I preferred their earlier albums (this is from their latest one) but its a very good song nonetheless. First heard it on the dart on the way to college at the crack of dawn after I'd just downloaded their album the night before. A good way to wake up :-)

Lisa Mitchell: Coin Laundry
Possibly the cutest video in the whole damn world, the song isn't quite the same without watching her play in her washing machine (just watch the vid!) Still a good one nonetheless - certainly different. I'm quite annoyed though that I have no recollection as to when or why I first heard it!

Soundtracks; The Lord of the Rings: Gollum's Song
Ha, yes I do have all three LotR soundtracks on my iPod! And for a while, back when I was about fourteen or fifteen, I listened to them solidly all the time - every walk to or from school, and half the time sneakily during class aswell! This song in particular still gives me shivers - her voice is just unreal.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Subway to Venus
I am easily one the most die hard Chilis fans you will ever meet, don't even try and contest me. I even have the same birthday as Anthony Kiedis! This is oldskool Chilis; the good stuff. Mother's Milk was one of the greatest albums, and some of the lyrics are fantastic.


And that's the first ten songs! I have to say, that was refreshing! I'm abandoning my radio for a while and rekindling my love affair with my iPod :-) Give shuffle a chance, people!

3 comments:

  1. i love my ipod shuffle thingy. my songs on the iPod is old 70s/80s/90s stuff, which makes me happy anyway. not really into modern 00s stuff, whenever I listen to a song from the noughties or from the last few years, I just criiiiiiinge!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can buy an iTrip? Is that what you meant? It plays your ipod over the airwaves.
    Forgot almost all these songs! My shuffle is letting me down! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh is that what it's called? Yeah I think I'm gonna have to invest in one!

    ReplyDelete